Saturday, February 2, 2008

Feeling Sentimental


Today I received a very special gift, my grandma Hazel's piano. She was an amazing musician whom I could only hope for half of her talent. This piano is special to me because it is the piano I learned how to play on. My grandma was my teacher for many years. I loved going to her house each week for my lessons. It was always special to have that time alone with her; she had such a way of making me feel special. Most of the piano recitals I participated in were in my grandma's living room on this instrument. Grandma had the mirror installed above the keys so the audience could watch your hands as you performed. My grandpa would always dress up and sing a special number for the shows and serve as the emcee. (If you've ever heard my grandpa sing, you know what a treat it is!) This piano also served as a tent for many campouts at Grandma and Grandpa's house with the cousins. I remember laying beneath it and giggling many nights away.

What I didn't know about this piano is that it belonged to my great grandma and is close to 100 years old. The top of the bench was stitched by my great grandma. I lost my grandma almost 20 years ago. The piano has been with my grandpa all of these years. It has been my pleasure to accompany him on occasion over the years. During one special trip to Logan several years ago I was blessed to tinker on this piano while Grandpa sang along. Whenever I play this piano, I picture my grandpa nearby singing. I am so humbled to have this piano in my home. It will be a constant reminder of the importance of family and the rich legacy that has been left for my family. My children have been fortunate enough to have five great-grandparents in their lives thus far. They have a special tea set given to them by their great grandma Yarn that is in the living room with the piano. This heirloom also belonged to their great-great grandma. I am feeling very thankful tonight for the eternal nature of families, and the importance of sharing our family histories with our children. My girls come from a long line of greatness on both sides. Thank you, Grandpa Barney, for this treasure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful story and a beautiful piano! Both that story and that piano will be something great that you can continue to pass down for generations to come.
Thank you very much for sharing!

Cammie said...

What a great story. As a fellow piano lover I can relate to your feelings.

Jenson Family said...

What a great family heirloom! The best part about that is the stories and memories you have to share! How awesome! Welcome to the blogging world - looks like you're loving it so far!