So it's Nevada Reading Week and we have had all sorts of visitors reading to classes at our school. One particularly hyped visitor was Mrs. Nevada. I, of course, told the person bringing her in that I went to Jr. High and High School with her. She, of course, brought her by my room today, though she didn't have time to read to my class. (She has an extremely busy schedule this whole week.) She came in full beauty queen regalia--crowns, sashes, heels, the whole nine. She looked fabulous and was the picture perfect pagaent queen. So in my classroom, in jeans and a t-shirt (it's "Read My Shirt Day"), I had the following conversation with a person I haven't seen in 15 years:
Her: I didn't know you were a teacher.
Me: Yes. I stayed home with my kids for ten years. I've only been full-time for a few years.
Her: Oh, I did the opposite. I taught first grade, too. Now I stay home with my kids.
(She's always been very smart. She is so much more than just "a beauty queen.")
After more small talk:
Her: I better get going. Boys and Girls, it's Nevada Reading Week and I see your books on your desks. I just want to tell you how important reading is. I hope you will keep reading all the time!
Me: You mean even beauty queens think it is important to read???
Her: Oh absolutely!
Soooo not what I was going for!!! There was no time to explain. We have been asking all of our readers how reading helps them in their careers. Knowing that her time was limited, I sent her off with this seemingly rude comment. OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS! Maybe she didn't notice.
Gretchen, you're always doing these things.
3 comments:
Who's Mrs Nevada???
Gretch, please include a picture of this Mrs. Nevada lady. Perhaps a picture will help because even I have no clue who she is, it's Rach by the way, I'm at Jenn's watching P & K play a new Disney Princess video game! Just thought I'd say Hi! Don't forget to tell your kids to read!! :) haha LOVE YA!!!
Very funny!
Post a Comment