Monday, December 8, 2008

Timber!!

Warning!! An innocent tree being demolished is documented in this post! If you are a tree-lover, who may become upset that the tree's owners have increased their carbon footprint by cutting down an oxygen-producing tree, please skip this post!!!

Going...
going...
gone!!!

This was the scene in front of my house today as my neighbor's nuisance-of-a-tree was removed. Like my friends up north love to tease, I am such a city girl, and was totally excited by the tree-shredder in the front yard. I was amazed at how this little tiny machine chewed up a massive pine tree and spit it out in minutes. I totally wanted to go help, but Dave assured me that was just weird.


Anyways, this tree has been a pain-in-the rear for the past 10 years. It killed the neighbor's lawn and ours in the early stages of our residency. We all wised up and got desert landscape after fighting the menace for about seven years. The house next door then went through some sad times and no one took care of anything for over a year. My new front yard was soon covered in needle droppings that could not be reckoned with. Imagine our relief when a cute family finally moved in next door and began picking up after the monster. The wife soon found that she had a full-time job of cleaning up after this thing and decided enough was more than enough. Hence the scene above.


When Morgan got home from school today, she was like, "The tree is gone! My childhood memories are destroyed." I didn't know she had sentimental attachments to the neighbor's tree. When I inquired further, she said that she and Ashley and Abigail (our old neighbor), used to tie jump ropes around their waists and try to shimmy up the tree. Apparently, there is also a group of magical fairies that lived in the tree. I wonder where the fairies are going to live now. It was cute to hear Morgan recalling some of her fond childhood memories.


Oh well, if the fairies haven't heard, it's a buyer's market right now. I know where they could get a killer deal on three very tall palm trees!!

Ashley just read this post and told me that leprechauns also lived in the tree. Sorry! I want to give the leprechauns their fair credit!

1 comment:

Freer Family said...

So Alan told me he remembers watching a movie where they threw someone in the tree chipper. Nasty eh?
I'm glad you took pictures, t is cool.
Cute stories too.

I like your festive new design.

Thanks for coming tonight! :)