Today is my Grandpa Barney's 86th birthday. He's always been a legend and a hero in my eyes! We celebrated with him on Sunday in St. George. It was a great celebration with his family and friends. All of his grandchildren were present either in person or on a cell phone. It was like one of those radio call-in shows. Who knew that a microphone and a speakerphone could give Ryan Seacrest a run-for-his-money?!? The entertainment wasn't too shabby either. My dad and uncle sang a few songs and played guitar, another uncle played his trombone, my cousin Rachel played a beautiful hymn on the violin and then played a duet with Morgan on her Viola, the little kids sang Primary songs, Brett and Corinne read a grandpa poem, my cousin Aaron did a monologue from "I Hate Hamlet," and Morgan and Ashley did a song and dance from their play. He had a great time and loved it all.
Grandpa, you've always been such a big part of all of our lives. We love you so much!
I wish every kid in the whole wide world had a grandfather just like you.
In case you're wondering, here are 86 things I love about Grandpa (with a little help from Steph):
1.His beautiful singing voice
2. Santa Clause is coming
3. Tacos in the van
4. His speech in full uniform in my 7th grade class
5. His dedication to his children
6. His way of making every grandchild feel like his favorite
7. His love of the gospel
8. His patriotism
9. His heroic service as a fighter pilot in World War II
10. His name on the marquee at The Thunderbird
11. The way he loves my children, and all of his great-grandchildren (and great greats)
12. Special breakfasts at sleepovers
13. His stories
14. Our trip to Reno in the moving van
15. Pinger sandwiches
16. His thirst for knowledge and learning
17. His way of never meeting a stranger
18. Our "special" holiday
19. His story-telling prowess that I try to borrow
20. "Oh, Grandpa!"
21. All of the times I was honored to accompany him on the piano
22. His honor...
23. His dignity...
24. His grace under fire
25. Christmas caroling in the van
26. Bringing Grandma Hazel into my life
27. Bringing Grandma Chris into my life
28. His love and support of my husband
29. His jokes, especially Mr. Ribbit...
30. His faith
31. His rallying of support when Ashley was sick in the hospital (getting his Rabbi friend and his congregation to pray for her)
32. His concern about my piano getting to me
33. His concerts in St. George
34. His jokes at his concerts in St. George (Especially the H.R. ones.)
35. His ability to look for the good in people
36. His work ethic
37. "Oh That I Were an Angel"
38. "Consider the Lillies"
39. "I Know that My Redeemer Lives'
40. "How Will They Know?" (At Ashley's Baptism)
41. "Danny Boy"
42. "Day In, Day Out"
43. "Sunrise, Sunset" (At my wedding)
44. "Working" at the Tyson fight with him when I was in High School
45. His braveness
46. Diet Pepsi
47. A cup of Sip
48. His consistency
49. Christmas Eve tuxedos
50. "Oh Holy Night"
51. The Star-Spangled Banner like nobody's business!
52. Watching countless horrible basketball games to watch me cheer
53. Teaching me the meaning of "Joy in thy posterity"
Additions from Steph! :)
54. The way that "do what" can be the appropriate response to practically ANYTHING!!!
55.Giving me the thumbs up at the piano after every vocal performance.
56.The slot machine on the patio with the indoor hot tub and pool table ... now that's class!
57.The wiring in the Mason house.
58.The front projector TV with the electric shoe-shine machine.
59.The front page of the LV Sun ... I still have my copy ;)
60.The "Barney Rawling" stamp on every piece of run-off sheet music.
61.My interview with him for my 11th grade history class that I still have on tape.
62.His help in the world history class in college where I had to write on the topic of why FDR was a "socialist SOB (per my professor).
63.The war story that he claims is his grandchildren's favorite but that I suspect he rather likes telling.
64.The way that I am most CERTAINLY his favorite grand-daughter.
65.The sentimental value in everything.
66.All the fancy Cadillacs.
67.Bike riding with him and Grandma Hazel over quad break in elementary school.
68.Those weird animal-shaped bottles in the Mason bathroom. (Avon cologne, Steph.)
69.Furs Cafeteria in the Meadows Mall parking lot.
70.The stories about the day that I was born.
71. Caring for Grandma Hazel when she was sick.
72. His 80th birthday party that practically brought the house down.
73. Fancy dress uniforms at all of our weddings.
74. The day that he became Major Three Star General Grandpa George Barney Rawlings SIR!
75. That dimly lit office.
76. His letter-writing prowess.
77. Di-syllabic pronunciation of the word Batteries.
78. His writing and story-telling skills.
79. Visiting Grammy in the old folks home and doing an impromptu concert.
80. All of his funny little sayings and phrases
81. The shows for the OTB's (I don't know whether that is appropriate here, but it is really funny ;)
82. The waiting room at UMC
Gretchen brings it home:
83. My interview he set up and wrote for the governor, and the million dollar question
84. Ketchup on everything
85. Duct tape--what can't it do?
86. Teaching me the meaning of unconditional love, as I've watched him give it to so many people, and receive it from so many people.
Mostly, we just love you, Grandpa, because you are you!
2 comments:
Happy Birthday to the best Grandpa! Great list Gretch and it could go on and on and on...
A little addition, if I may:
* The way that "do what" can be the appropriate response to practically ANYTHING!!!
* Giving me the thumbs up at the piano after every vocal performance.
* The slot machine on the patio with the indoor hot tub and pool table ... now that's class!
* The wiring in the Mason house.
* The front projector TV with the electric shoe-shine machine.
* The front page of the LV Sun ... I still have my copy ;)
* The "Barney Rawling" stamp on every piece of run-off sheet music.
* My interview with him for my 11th grade history class that I still have on tape.
* His help in the world history class in college where I had to write on the topic of why FDR was a "socialist SOB (per my professor).
* The war story that he claims is his grandchildren's favorite but that I suspect he rather likes telling.
* The way that I am most CERTAINLY his favorite grand-daughter.
* The sentimental value in everything.
* All the fancy Cadillacs.
* Bike riding with him and Grandma Hazel over quad break in elementary school.
* Those weird animal-shaped bottles in the Mason bathroom.
* Furs Cafeteria in the Meadows Mall parking lot.
* The stories about the day that I was born.
* Caring for Grandma Hazel when she was sick.
* His 80th birthday party that practically brought the house down.
* Fancy dress uniforms at all of our weddings.
* The day that he became Major Three Star General Grandpa George Barney Rawlings SIR!
* That dimly lit office.
* His letter-writing prowess.
* Di-syllabic pronunciation of the word Batteries.
* His writing and story-telling skills.
* Visiting Grammy in the old folks home and doing an impromptu concert.
* All of his funny little sayings and phrases
* The shows for the OTB's (I don't know whether that is appropriate here, but it is really funny ;)
* The waiting room at UMC
.... so many great memories .... I love my Grandpa!!!
Post a Comment