Monday, April 6, 2009

Poetry Jammin'!!


So Morgan was born with some mad writing skills, but I didn't realize what an AMAZING poet she is. (Reminds me of her dad.) Last week she competed in her school's "Poetry Jam." Students were to write an original poem and perform it before an audience. The students and faculty then got to vote for the poem they thought would best represent them in a district-wide "jam." Twenty-three students competed, and two were chosen...I bet you can't guess who one of them was. Woo-Hoo! We are so proud of you, Morgan. Now it's on to the district wide Poetry Jam on April 20th. Her poem will also be published and distributed in a student anthology. I asked her if I could post her poem here, but she was a little worried about copyright. So...this poem belongs to my daughter, don't steal it!! I'll let you ponder the meaning, and I'll see if she'll post her explanation later. (You'll never guess the hidden B.O.M. references!)



The Still Time
by
Morgan Brown, age 13

To the dawn and forever on,
Beyond the horizon's face.
Off and on the starlight's song,
Until I drifted into lonely space.
And tears were hope and valiance fell,
Into the dark and stygian ocean.
No light, no sky, no God-saint's eye,
To seal the damned devotion?
So still and soft, too quiet, to breath,
to dance,
to lie,
to fly,
to see.
With whispered love and indifferent care,
To feel the aqualine classic stare.
Secrets slipping over the gentle, tender smiles.
Lovely lies, and dreams too wild.
No light to guide the youthful restless choice?
No light to shine on the shattered honor!
No light to still all time!
No way to still the chill creeping over the acquiescence of innocence?
Disarming with naivety, and charming deceit.
Faceless, but identified with a name,
I pressed my fingers to the frosted glass...
And as I looked...
And as I watched...
I saw as my integrity went floating past.
Yet dreams and reality aren't quite the same.
Oh, did I mention that she just wrote this during 1st period while her teacher was droning? Whatever!!!

1 comment:

Freer Family said...

WAY TO GO MO!!! So proud of you!